When: April 30th and May 1st, 2017
Where: Romeo and Juliet Castles, in Montecchio Maggiore (Vicenza, Italy)
Distance from Residence La Mason: 14 km, 20 minutes.
« Montecchio Medievale – La Faida »
The traditional historical reconstruction « Montecchio Medievale« , which takes place on May 1st every year, returns in the splendid scenery of the Romeo and Juliet Castles in Montecchio Maggiore (Vicenza, Italy).
The two medieval castles, which seem to stand against each other on the top of the hill overlooking the town of Montecchio, inspired Luigi Da Porto for his unforgettable novel dedicated to the eternal love of Romeo and Juliet, later immortalized by William Shakespeare. For one day, the castles return to the splendor of a time.
April 30th – Romeo and Juliet Castles – from 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm
3:00 pm – taverns opening
Shows: duels and challenges between brave men, and representations of moments of life within a medieval military camp by the Associations « Città del Grifo« , « Sarvas San Marino« , « Antica Fiamma« . Flag Games with flag-wavers and drummers of the Historical-Cultural Association « Giulietta e Romeo« .
Agricultural market of Venetian flavors from the producer directly to the consumer.
8:00 pm – Romeo’s Castle amphitheater – free entrance
Show: « The Tempest » by William Shakespeare
Ethereal figures on trampolines, pyrotechnic games, fire and aerial dance for an artistic performance with a high visual impact.
May 1st – Romeo and Juliet Castles – from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm
9:00 am – taverns opening
- Shows: duels and challenges between brave men, and representations of moments of life within a medieval military camp by the Associations « Sarvas San Marino« , « Antica Fiamma«
- Medieval arts and crafts market
- Historical dances by the Associations « Il Saltarello«
- Music, juggling and much more
- Guided tours of the suggestive complex of underground quarries. A trip back in time, when from these quarries between the two castles the stone of Vicenza was extracted to build churches, villas and bridges.
- Crafts and creativity market animated by stilt walkers and characters in historical costume.
- Animation in medieval costume, with dress of all children and some parents
- Installation of historic LUDOS by the Association « Un Mondo di Avventure«
- Medieval arts and crafts market by Historical-Cultural Association « Giulietta e Romeo«
- Exhibition of falconry by the Association « Antica Marca Alata«
- Encampment of armed men by the Association « Città del Grifo«
- Tower of the Romeo’s Castle: photographic exhibition curated by the « Fotoclub Montecchio Maggiore«
On the stage of Romeo’s Castle, they will perform:
- Gruppo il saltarello – dances
- Sarvas San Marino – duels
- Antica Marca Alata – falconry
- In Vino Veritas – musicians
- Tamburi medievali Cividale – drummers
- Gruppo Storico « Giulietta e Romeo » – flag-wavers and drummers
- Romeo and Juliet’s election
- Accademia Creativa – stilt walkers
- Il Frate Ciarlatano – poetry
- Associazione Città del grifo – didactic demonstration of armed men
The traveler who come from the most far away to attend « Montecchio Medievale » will be awarded with a reminder of the event. Information and inscriptions at the « Taverna del Castello di Romeo » during the event on May 1st.
From 10:00 am to 2:00 pm on April 30th, and from 7:00 am to 2:00 pm on May 1st, a telephone number will be activated for information request, by calling +39 0444 492259.
Shuttle Bus: the shuttle bus will work at the cost of 2 €, ONLY on May 1st from 11am to 8pm: the ticket is valid for a roundtrip. Departures from: parking Via degli Alberi (also for disabled) and parking lot of the company Xylem in Via Lombardi
In case of bad weather, the event will be moved to May 7th, 2017 from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm.